All students should strive for 100% attendance at all times; attendance should not drop below the school target set for this academic year of 96%.
Attendance procedures at Brayton Academy.
• If your child feels ill in the morning please provide them with appropriate pain relief/medication and send them to school. Any medication should be handed in to the medical office who will administer it when required. Please ensure that you have completed a Parental Agreement for School to Administer Medicine Form available here (Parental Agreement for School to Administer Medicine) or from the main reception. Your child should be in school if they have a minor illness such as a headache, cold, sore throat or period pains.
• If your child is ill i.e. to the extent that they cannot get out of bed, then please ring school to notify the attendance team on 01757 293243. Please advise them the reason for absence and the expected date of return.
• On occasions throughout the week members of the attendance team and other school staff may visit any child who is absent from school. If your child is well enough to attend lessons then the member of staff may accompany them back to school.
• If your child is absent from school for 4 days or less please provide a written note in their planner. On their return to school students will be asked for their note by their form tutor, failure to provide a note will result in a written comment in their planner and persistent failure to provide a note may result in your child being placed in isolation.
• If your child is absent from school for 5 days or longer please provide medical evidence, i.e. an appointment card, prescription, indicating the reason for absence.
• Please arrange all appointments outside the school day wherever possible. If the appointment is unavoidable the school expects your child to attend before and after the appointment. A full day’s absence will not be authorised for a medical appointment. Any full day’s absence will be marked as parentally condoned truancy.
We no longer authorise any holiday during school time and a fixed penalty fine of £60.00 may be issued by the Authority to each parent/carer. Please note that the North Yorkshire Local Authority attendance guidance defines a parent/carer as:
• All natural parents, whether they are married or not;
• Any person who, although they are not a natural parent, has parental responsibility (as defined in the Children Act 1989) for a child or young person;
• Any person who, although not a natural parent, has care of a child or young person with whom the child lives and who looks after a child, irrespective of their relationship with the child;
• Any person who has care of a child or young person i.e. lives with and looks after the child.
A Holiday Notification/Exceptional Circumstances Form is available here (Leave of Absence and Holiday Request Forms for Students) or from the main reception. If you do not notify us but we have evidence that your child has been on holiday a fixed penalty fine may still be issued.
Please be aware that any student, who does not meet the schools minimum attendance expectation of 96%, may not be invited to attend the annual reward trips or Year 11 Prom.
Brayton Academy shares the Government’s determination to raise the levels of student attendance at school because we want to give the best future opportunity for all our students. If you are experiencing any difficulty with your child’s attendance please contact the attendance team immediately on 01757 283243.